Dell PowerEge 2850 and RAID

Stephane Raimbault stephane at enertiasoft.com
Fri Jun 24 06:28:11 GMT 2005

I also have a Dell PowerEdge 2850 with the PERC 4e/Di Raid card and I
found some interesting information tonight that will help us all out.

http://www.freebsd.org/news/press.html#story200505:02

Basically, LSI now supports FreeBSD and 5.4 seems to have the updated
drivers... so what does this mean?

Well, I discovered that the PERC 4e/Di Raid card is the same thing as
the LSI MegaRAID 320-2X.  So if you go to www.lsilogic.com and go to
the download section and find the downloads for the "LSI MegaRAID
320-2x" you will see that there is a "driver" for FreeBSD.

Download this file and unzip the contents.  Inside there is a file
called "MegaRC 1.04.zip"  Unzip that and you will have a file called
"megarc" make the file executable "chmod +x megarc" and run the
command "./megarc -option"

This will give you some options that you can play with.

So far I've discovered the following useful information:

./megarc -AllAdpInfo
     This shows all your supported adapters.  In my case it found the
following:

         AdapterNo  FirmwareType  CardType
         00          40LD/8SPAN    PERC 4/DC

I then did this to display the status/configuration of the controller:

./megarc -dispCfg -a0

         Finding Devices On Each MegaRAID Adapter...
       Scanning Ha 0, Chnl 1 Target 15

           Logical Drive : 0( Adapter: 0 ):  Status: OPTIMAL
         SpanDepth :01     RaidLevel: 1  RdAhead : Adaptive  Cache:
DirectIo
         StripSz   :064KB   Stripes  : 2  WrPolicy: WriteBack

         Logical Drive 0 : SpanLevel_0 Disks
         Chnl  Target  StartBlock   Blocks      Physical Target Status
         ----  ------  ----------   ------      ----------------------
         0      00    0x00000000   0x043bc000   ONLINE
         0      01    0x00000000   0x043bc000   ONLINE

           Logical Drive : 1( Adapter: 0 ):  Status: OPTIMAL
         SpanDepth :02     RaidLevel: 1  RdAhead : Adaptive  Cache:
DirectIo
         StripSz   :064KB   Stripes  : 2  WrPolicy: WriteBack

         Logical Drive 1 : SpanLevel_0 Disks
         Chnl  Target  StartBlock   Blocks      Physical Target Status
         ----  ------  ----------   ------      ----------------------
         1      02    0x00000000   0x0887c000   ONLINE
         1      03    0x00000000   0x0887c000   ONLINE

         Logical Drive 1 : SpanLevel_1 Disks
         Chnl  Target  StartBlock   Blocks      Physical Target Status
         ----  ------  ----------   ------      ----------------------
         1      04    0x00000000   0x0887c000   ONLINE
         1      05    0x00000000   0x0887c000   ONLINE

This correctly shows my 2 logical drives.

Logical drive 0 (raid 1 between 2 36Gig 10K disks)
     Drive 00 and 01

Logical drive 1 (raid 1 and spanned between 4 72Gig 15K disks)
     Drive 02 and 03 spanned with
     Drive 04 and 05

Might I say...   EXCITING times for Dell SCSI RAID owners

Cheers,
Stephane