postfix or qmail?

ANdrei lists at hausro.de
Sat Jun 18 09:48:58 GMT 2005

I don't think that qMail is *that* bad :) it's actually a really good piece
of software, has lots of addons u can use with it and it sure is quite
fast... we managed 20.000+ internet domains (i suppose about 50.000+ eMail
boxes) on a single Pentium around 1GHz with 512MB RAM, and it kept going...
that is what I can say...

but I agree with most of the people here, qMail is not that easy to
maintain, and it has a number of weird things it does... u can however
secure it so it doesn't act as a spam relay and u can do many neat things
with it, it has no security flaws that u can't fix (fairly easy), and in a
few years that I administered qMail-systems in production (3 of these
50.000+ account servers) I never came across a serios bug that was not to be
fixed (actually each time it was already done, but we weren't carefull
enough before we had the problem :)

so, I would say that qMail is quite good. I did not find it easy to work
with it though, and I think that there *must* be smtg nicer out there,
though I never tried anything else (no time..).

If u have a bit time to play with things, try smtg else before qMail, and if
it runs fine and u find it pleasant and failry easy to maintain, stick with
it... qMail runs fine, but it is a bit complicated... If u find smtg else u
like, stick with that, as u won't probably ever be a big fan of qMail, even
though it runs fine :)

ANdrei
---
The problem with our world is stupidity.  I'm not saying there should
be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the