Netcell SyncRaid SR3000/SR5000 FreeBSD

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Thu Jun 16 12:55:19 GMT 2005

"Jonathan Gilpin" <jonathan at fluent.ltd.uk> writes:
> The raid array does appear to be detected however when I use the fisk
> utility durring the installation it complains about the drive geometry.
>
> FreeBSD detects:  Cyl/Hd/Sect 94415/255/63
>
> The utility suggests using 911534/104/16 I agree to this and it then says
> that this suggest geometry is invalid. I continue and when it comes to
> make the new file system it gives the time out errors above and then complains
> it cannot write to the disk.

These problems are unrelated.  FreeBSD does not care about drive
geometry.  The reason fdisk(1) mentions it is that the geometry (or
actually a fake but plausible geometry - modern disks can't be
accurately described in terms of C/H/S) is encoded in the MBR for
legacy reasons.  If the numbers in the MBR are wrong, the BIOS may be
unable to load FreeBSD from disk when it boots.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no