Compaq Smart Array 4200 controller question

Andrew Heyn aheyn at jmsent.com
Thu Feb 3 09:18:38 PST 2005

Hi Matthew,

Yes, that is correct.  If a program is using I/O when the controller decides
to be
uncooperative, there's a chance that it will recover, and continue on, and
there's
also a chance that it will be stuck in-kernel forever waiting for the data.
Meanwhile, other program _can_ access data...until they get stuck some time
later
in the kernel.

root    2865  0.0  0.0  1312  860  p0  D    11:28AM   0:06.71 find /
Thu Feb  3 12:20:53 UTC 2005
top says that find is stuck in 'ufs'

Meanwhile, I catted 6.0-CURRENT-20050202-SESNAP.tar.bz2 to /dev/null
It took quite a few seconds the first time, and subsequent times took
a much shorter amount of time.  I can also cat /dev/ida0xxx to /dev/null,
and all sorts of other I/O...while that find is stuck in-kernel.

Anything else I can do to help?

Thanks,
Andrew