building an older server

ANdrei lists at hausro.de
Mon Aug 29 22:06:20 GMT 2005

> I personally use 802.11b for the server (Linksys WMP11 v2...it's an old
> card, but wi(4) works with it).

I have no money to put into this server, the hardware mentioned is already
in my workroom, lying around, but I can't afford to buy more. So I can use
any hardware from like 15 motherboards, lots of NICs and so on (all old :),
but this is just what I thought to be the most appropiate for building a
server, mainly because I considered 2 processors of 400MHz to be better then
1 of 800MHz, and because I considered that this motherboard is probably
designed more carefully and for enduring more, being a board designed for
servers, even if an old model...
The  wifi cards I have are both 802.11g, I would use 802.11b if I had one,
but I don't :) And besides I thought that once u have a 802.11b in your
802.11g-only network, the data throughput will be a bit slowed down on all
clients (not down to 11MBps, but not as good as without the 802.11b client
in ur network) - can anyone confirm this (we had a review on this in our
CHIP Magazine, a few months ago).

> I can't comment here, as I only use WEP, and have only used 6 on a
> workstation.

well, any impressions appreciated: what did the 6 "feel" like? rock-stable
or whacky? :)
another big question: is WEP really that bad? I mean, how fast can you crack
it? Is it just paranoia, or can any kid in my neighbourhood get into my
network? I don't expect to have THE HACKER roaming around where my server
is, but there are occasional kids and neighbours who might try their 2 words
computer-science they know on my network...
so should I relax and go for 5.4 with WEP and not be stressed to get the 6.x
with PSK?

> You might want to check HARDWARE.txt if it's supported. An apropos(1)
> here for "HighPoint" only yields results for hptmv(4), which supports
> the RocketRAID 128x. You will most likely want to recompile it into your
> kernel if such support exists; you should do so anyway, to reduce the
> bloat and get rid of unnecessary drivers in your kernel. By the way, my
> machine uses an Abit BH6 (single CPU, pIII/500).

I'll check for support. I don't have access to a FreeBSD box at this moment,
so I'm planning all theoretically. Once I'm close the FreeBSD box again I'll
check, but that will also be the moment I have to quickly decide what to use
:) and I try not to wait until then to get an idea of everything ;)
I will recompile the kernel anyway, but the question is if I can install on
disks on that controller from the beginning, or do I have to do it first on
a normal controller and only after recompiling will I see my disks on the
HighPoint?
btw, this is same genration of motherboard: any stability issues? they are
supposed to be rock solid, right?...

> Use the SMP kernel (or put options SMP into yours) and it should work.
> Most options in GENERIC should suit you fine re: processor options.

I'll check with the handbook on this one :)

> If it works, why not? You may be able to use gvinum or whatever we're
> using these days for software RAID; check the handbook for more info.

tks, this was the hint I was in need for, as I had no idea what to use ofr
software RAID. I'll check that in the handbook, too.

tks for your kind reply,
ANdrei
---
The problem with our world is stupidity.  I'm not saying there should
be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the