VIA EPIA board with on-board graphics

Olivier Gautherot olivier at gautherot.net
Thu Aug 25 19:01:59 GMT 2005

Hi folks!

I've just set up a new system with a VIA EPIA mini-ITX motherboard. In
essence, it is working just fine... apart from some occasional reboots. The
first time it happened, I was running xosview (which was using about 256MB of
system memory!) as well as other apps in parallel. It happened yesterday and
today again while ripping some CD's. For info, the system is fitted with
512MB, included 32MB of shared memory for graphics.

It is not the first time I experience system reboots on PC's with shared
memory for graphics: my other machine had the same unstability until I
plugged an NVidia graphics card and disabled the on-board chipset. I would
like to avoid doing the same here as I would like to keep power low (I use it
mainly for emails and word processing, not 3D games).

Any advice on stabilizing a system with shared memory? BTW, I'm running
5.4-RELEASE with a few tweaks in the kernel but did not find a fix for  this
yet.
--
Olivier Gautherot
olivier at gautherot.net