FreeBSD hardware solution for a database server

Dean Hamstead dean at bong.com.au
Sun Aug 21 12:09:22 GMT 2005

Uzi Klein wrote:
> Dean Hamstead wrote:
>  > you may need to look at specifically what sort of
>  > queries are taxing the system
>
>  > lots of queries or long queries
>
> Both, but mostly long queries.

long queries are most likely reads then, so you will see
huge performance increases by setting up mysql's in
built replication and then spreading the queries around.

youll need to look that all up but its quite trivial
to get going.

> Good points, the database does need optimization, I will to that as
> well,  but its about time for a dedicated server anyway (and it costs
> way less than normalizing a +-500 related tables db)

hmm lots of tables.... i can see that hardware changes would
be a whole lot easier.

however, if your tables are all similar it shouldnt be a huge
drama. ie we use mod_log_sql so we have 3 tables per hosted
site. all the tables are the same format so just apply changes
to all tables.

as far as optimising indexes goes ill leave it up to your
research on dev.mysql.com and others as its all there
much better than i can type up at quater to ten sunday night ;)

> That what my original question meant to be:
> What are the minimum/recommended system requirements (*hardware* wise)
> for a heavy loaded database server. If you're a Dell man, please be kind
> and point me to a Dell box...

what i meant was i dont have specific experience with hp boxes
but IMO they are all just intel chips on motherboards etc.
if one was outrageously better than the others it would soon
take over the market.

i would just spend as much money as you can. but i would
prefer two servers with dual cpu's over one with 4.

run tests on what your queries are doing, if the system is
spending huge amounts on time reading tables (which would
be a sign of poor indexes IMO) then you would want faster
IO. if your disks are well doing short quick transfers and
your cpu is doing alot of work, then youll see benefits
from greater cpu speeds.

i think personally i would get the fastest pair of hyperthreaded
cpu's (if you like intel), with some scsi 320 15k disks.

if your databases are really enormous look into SAN stuff

> I have done most of the software tweaking.

there was a mention of alternative threading.

>  > you may also find mysql5 to be faster than 41 (assuming mysql)
> You don't really advise me to use beta software for production, do you?

i would trust mysql beta over mssql releases ;)
test and see if you find it stable enough.