hard drive noises -- western digital wd800ve

Tulio Guimarães da Silva tuliogs at pgt.mpt.gov.br
Thu Aug 4 15:27:58 GMT 2005

Hi gentlemen,
    I don´t know if it´s related, but (I went to investigation) there´s
a known issue with WD HDs from 40 to 200GB prior to 2003/03/25 (March
25, 2003 - dates are always confusing :) ); even though it´s associated
to RAID-controllers, it seems indeed that there is some kind of timeout
generated by the acoustic reduction features of the drives.
  Here´s the link to the explanation:
http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=913

  In short, there seems to be a bit to be disabled at run-time, *but*
the utility is only available to Windows systems. ¬¬ It can be
downloaded here:
http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=4&swid=11

  Maybe it´s an issue that could be trated by the ata(4) driver or
sysctl (if not already), but... *maybe*; that´s really not for me to
tell. :P
  Anyway, I guess people with this issue should contact WD or a
reseller. Since it´s a somewhat limited issue, *and* it´s known to the
manufacturer, I think they wouldn´t oppose to replace the affected drive(s).
  Cheers,

Tulio G. da Silva