ASUS V9400 video card prevents FreeBSD from booting

soralx at cydem.org soralx at cydem.org
Fri Apr 15 22:56:33 PDT 2005

> Greetings.  I recently discovered why FreeBSD quit working on my computer.
> When I replaced my GeForce 2 MX400 with a GeForce MX 4000-based card from
> ASUS (The X Series V9400 with 64 meg of RAM), FreeBSD no longer boots.  For
> what it's worth, the contents of my computer are as follows:
[...]
>  -Both win2k and bsd5.3 seem to see a firewire adapter on this video card
> even though there is no firewire connector on it.
[...]
>  -Yes, I did try booting 5.3 with different options from the menu: verbose
> mode, ACPI, etc...  When in non-verbose mode, the last thing I saw was the
> waiting 15 sec for SCSI devices message.  In verbose mode, I saw a few
> messages beyond that.

If you pull the Adaptec 39160 out, will the OS boot? Can you send
`pciconf -lv` and `dmesg` from the system without SCSI card and
with V9400-X (if it will boot), and from the system with SCSI card
and with the old video adapter?

Timestamp: 0x4260A474
[SorAlx]  http://cydem.org.ua/
ridin' VN1500-B2