irda devices support

Martin Roos kulminaator at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 04:36:19 PDT 2005

hi,
i just recently purchased an irda dongle to use with my cellphone, but
unhappily just after the purchase i found myself in the situation
where my last choice of software, freebsd, does not support it. it's
not only the 'item' itself, the whole irda support seems to be missing
:S

is anyone working on porting irda devices into freebsd ? netbsd seems
to have an implementation which could be perhaps used as a reference
to implement them.

i've not yet worked myself through all the documentation that is
related to irda communication, (there are zillion obfuscated pdf files
moving around, takes a while), but it shouldn't be impossible to bring
irda support into freebsd.

i agree that most of freebsd users probably don't give a damn about
irda support, but still it's kind of wierd that such a popular OS has
no support for irda in it's kernel by 2005.

i'm sure none would mind to control their pc-s with a remote or
interact with other computer related devices (everything from laptops
down to mobiles and palms) over irda.