Monitoring LSI MegaRAID 320-1

Ketrien I. Saihr-Kesenchedra ketrien at error404.nls.net
Fri Oct 8 12:04:36 PDT 2004

Simon wrote:

>Hello Folks!
>
>I have several servers with LSI MegaRAID 320-1 controllers. What do
>you all use to monitor the arrays? how is one supposed to know when
>a drive dies, remotely? I found a utility MegaControl which does exactly
>this, but it is buggy and causes my servers to malfunction and start
>panicing left and right. I noticed that the array would be reinitialized in background after installing MegaControl which made no sense since the array was already %100 initialized. This would of course corrupt the live system and was probably the cause of panics.
>
>Any insights on this would be appreciated!

amr(4) provides a cam passthrough function, which exposes the individual
drives cleanly. (I've tested this on 320-2 and 320-0.) I'd use
camcontrol rather than megacontrol, but bear in mind that, AFAIK,
camcontrol cannot tell you the array status, only individual drive status.

-Ketrien I. Saihr-Kesenchedra | ketrien AT error404 DOT nls DOT net