RAID 5 Adapters and FreeBSD 5.2.1

Patrick Hurrelmann outi at bytephobia.de
Sat May 22 10:00:41 PDT 2004

hi again,

thats quite funny :)
i spoke to mr. zegers at cebit and had some mail-exchange afterwards. i thought i did explain him, taht freebsd is no linux and that is wont run any linux-kerneldrivers. and that i don't thinbks its true that some linux-guy ported this to freebsd.

hm ;)

as already said, we'll have to wait till ataraid handles raid 5 or promise builds freebsd-drivers what never will happen (in my opinion)...

promise europe says: take linux-drivers, port them because efforts for freebsd drivers have been stoppen, because some developper quit...

promise usa says: we're working on it... hehe since almost one year?
very funny is that they still do advertising with freebsd-drivers :)
if you have a close look at promise' marketing presentations, especially at comparision to other raid-controller, you will notice that they use some very recent firmware revision (2.07 or something like that) while the most actual firmware is 2.04. same thing with windows drivers used in benchmark ;) and that presentation are out some month now.

i own several promise controllers now, but support is getting worse... maybe these were my last.