Unrecognized Digital EtherWork III (de205)

Francis Tremblay francis-tremblay at sympatico.ca
Sun May 9 08:33:43 PDT 2004

Hi !

I have just installed FreeBSD 5.2.1 (Minimal install iso disk 1) on my 486DX4 100 Mhz sucessfully but I'm unable to get to work one of my three ISA Digital EtherWork III (de205)

The fact is that I'm sure they work since in MSDOS 6.22 the tool that came with the driver (E3KIT253.ZIP) from Digital recognize successfully the three cards.

    Adapter #1 -     ISA Port 300, IRQ 5, ADDR D0000 MEM/IO 2k (jumper set to W1 off, W2 off)
    Adapter #2 -     ISA Port 280, IRQ 5, ADDR D0000 MEM/IO 2k (jumper set to W1 on, W2 off)
    Adapter #3 -     ISA Port 200, IRQ 5, ADDR D0000 MEM/IO 2k (jumper set to W1 on, W2 on)

I have tried the following :

    When booting with the installation disk,
        - I have "unset hint.le.0.disabled" before booting into Kernel    =    does not work
        - I have try, one card at a time, making sure that the variables hint.le.0.X are set to correct settings    =    does not work

    When installed, I have removed the disable flag into the device.hints file    =    does not work

I wanted to go back to older releases of freebsd, I didn't found anything older than 4.9 (does not work either... or need help)

here is my specs of my 486

    486 DX 4 100 Mhz
    16 Mb of ram
    540 Mb HD (400 Mb /, 134 Swap)
    24x Creative lab CD-ROM drive
    Sound Blaster 16
    Trident 1Mb video card

Is there any ways I cant force the detection of the le(4) driver ?  I cannot recompile the kernel, the sources does not seems to fit ???

Any hint or help would be appreciated
thx
chp9