Harddrive Failure

Reuben A. Popp gobinau at digitalcelt.net
Mon May 3 07:30:24 PDT 2004

Morning all,

While working last night, my workstation here started acting up (songs playing in xmms were pausing like the machine was lagging).  Upon looking at the console messages of XFree, I saw that I was receiving a large number of messages that looked like:

ad3: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=40<UNCORREC
TABLE> LBA=2572271

Great, a harddrive failure on an 80 gig drive that I had no backup for.
The box more or less locked up on me after that, whereupon I did a hard reboot.  After looking on google a bit, I decided to try a tool someone reccomended from sysutils ports called smartmon.  That spit out a large number of errors at me.  Okay, so the disk is bad, bum deal.  But...

After rebooting a second time or so, I'm seeing this error on my console:

ad0: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=40<UNCORREC
TABLE> LBA=4631543
May  3 09:10:03 woad syslogd: /var/log/cron: Input/output error

Crap, now its on the main system drive.  Now I might not be entirely saavy, but I would like to think that I'm not going to have two drives crap out on me at one time.  The main drive still works fine after that, although console will occasionally spit that error out at me.

Can anyone fill me in on what might be the problem?  I've rebuild world and kernel (going from 5.2.1-RELEASE-p3 to 5.2.1-RELEASE-p5), as well as switched out ribbon cables for the drives.  The first drive in question (first failure that is), is a Maxtor 80 gig IDE, while the main system drive is a Maxtor 40 gig IDE.  The 80 gig is less than a half a year old, while the 40 gig is a year old (maybe).  In case anyone needs the info, the motherboard is an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe (with the Intel ICH5R/875P chipset).

Thanks in advance, and cheers :)

Reuben A. Popp