ltmdm not detected, Re: Conexant HCF 56k PCI modem help

Rick C. Petty rick at megan.kiwi-computer.com
Thu Jan 29 13:54:22 PST 2004

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 11:29:53AM -0500, John Baldwin wrote:

> The HCF is a winmodem.  See if it works with the ltmdm driver in
> ports/comm/ltmdm.  The ltmdm driver supports lucent based winmodem's, and you
> get can those fairly cheap if it doesn't support the one you are currently
> using.

FYI, the ltmdm driver did not detect the HCF (and after further reading, I
realized the controllerless family means specifically Winmodem-- doh!  I
feel dumb).

So I went out and bought a Lucent v.90 with the LT Mars (PCI) chipset.  I
am one step closer however the probe doesn't seem to detect the device and
there aren't the appropriate /dev/ entries.

I am using a custom 5.1-RELEASE kernel, with the sio device enabled.  Do I
need anything else enabled?  I've tried with and without puc.  Here is the
relevant lines from "pciconf -lv":

none9 at pci1:7:0: class=0x078000 card=0x044c11c1 chip=0x048c11c1 rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Lucent/Agere Systems (Was: AT&T MicroElectronics)'
    class    = simple comms

According to the README and some minor digging through the source code,
both the chip and the card should be recognized, so I feel like I'm doing
something incorrectly.  An output of "pciconf -r pci1:7:0 0:0xff" gives:

048c11c1 02900007 07800002 00002000
e2001000 00008001 00008401 00000000
00000000 00000000 00000040 044c11c1
00000000 000000f8 00000000 0efc010c
ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
ffffffff 00000000 64220001 00000000

the rest are all 0xff..  I have the ltmdm-1.4_5 package installed, and it
built without a problem.  Whenever I do a kldunload followed by a kldload,
I get the following in my dmesg:

Jan 29 14:18:49 kayla kernel: ichsmb0: <SMBus controller> port 0xe000-0xe01f at device 1.1 on pci0
Jan 29 14:18:49 kayla kernel: ichsmb0: can't map I/O
Jan 29 14:18:49 kayla kernel: device_probe_and_attach: ichsmb0 attach returned 6
Jan 29 14:18:49 kayla kernel: nvidia1: Unknown nVIDIA device found-- skipping (R
CP)

The first three lines go away when I remove ichsmb & smbus from my kernel
config, and the last line is a patch I needed to make to the
x11/nvidia-driver port to prevent the nvidia device from trying to attach
all my nForce2 devices as video cards (I have an Asus A7N8X motherboard).
In other words, ltmdm doesn't output any messages nor create any device
entries..  I know many people have ltmdm working, so what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

-- Rick C. Petty        Senior Software Engineer, KIWI Computer