Signal 10?

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Thu Jan 29 04:14:25 PST 2004

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Per von Zweigbergk wrote:

> Signal 10 is Bus Error. This is much more rare, but still plausibly could
> be caused by incorrectly written software. (I think I've seen Netscape 4
> crash with this message once or twice -- but it's rare.)

The pthreads implementation on 4.x (-lc_r) will also provoke a bus error
if the primary thread's stack (which is hard coded at 1MB) is exhausted.

-lc_r linked pthreads programs on 5.x will also behave this way, but I
don't know whether -lkse has the same limitation.

This has become more prevalent with the more profligate stack use by
recent gcc releases.

E-mail: andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au  (pref) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac at pcug.org.au             (alt) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Web:    http://www.andymac.org/               |        Australia