Choosing a video card - Nvidia or ATI

Dev Tugnait dev at unixdaemon.org
Sun Jan 11 08:34:33 PST 2004

I use nvidia geforce 2 60mb never crashed X never had a panic or reboot it runs so much more better on bsd than linux. If you have a low budget nvidia all the way. Current uptime with X on desktop is 45 days and X hasnt crashed ever since i ran it :) and yes good movie and dvd playback too

* Michal Pasternak (michal at pasternak.w.lub.pl) wrote:
> Louis Munro [Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 10:54:35AM -0500]:
> > I have been building myself a new computer in the last weeks and I am now almost done except for choosing a video card. I have been reading up on the matter but some things remain confused after reading through both this list and xfree86.org, namely what support I might expect for things such as accelerated graphics using either an Nvidia or ATI chipset.
>
> ATI Radeon 9200 + XFree 4.3.0 + FreeBSD-4.9-STABLE work wonderful. Don't
> choose NVidia, NVidia drivers still cause problems (reboot, panics,
> lockups). ATI simply rocks compared to it -- it is very stable.
 ---++---
 pub  1024D/B9046473 2003-11-21 Dev Tugnait (Freebsd) <dev at unixdaemon.org>
 Key fingerprint = F690 6725 1930 6FBE C05A  FE4D 6CB1 34C1 B904 6473
 sub  1024g/F8F019DF 2003-11-21