VIA 8235 and 686 UDMA ICRC errors

Terry R. Friedrichsen trf at uplift.sunquest.com
Thu Apr 8 03:48:01 PDT 2004

Yura wrote:

> Does anyone else have a problem lately with VIA-based motherboards and
> relatively big IDE harddrives?

> [ ... ]

> If the drive is put in the BIOSPIO mode, everything works just dandy,
> including under heavy load on any of the boards. Under DMA100 i see
> ICRC errors as soon as there is more or less noticeable activity on
> the drive.

FWIW, I observed the same thing with a pair of Western Digital WD1000BB
100 GB hard drives; when enough activity hit them, they'd get errors and
drop into PIO mode, where they worked just fine.  I replaced them with a
pair of WD1200JB 120 GB drives (these are the special-edition version with
8 MB cache and maybe other differences as well) and had no problems.

However, this was on an Asus A7M266-D dual-processor system with an AMD768
south bridge, running FreeBSD 4.7.

Terry R. Friedrichsen

terry at uplift.sunquest.com