NICs not reconized - FreeBSD 4.9

Augusto Castelan Carlson carlson at npd.ufsc.br
Wed Apr 7 06:02:02 PDT 2004

jason wrote:
>> What are the correct steps to install this realtek driver correctely?
>> And the broadcom 5788, can I make it work on FreeBSD 4.9?
>>

> Did the default driver in bsd not work?  I would not compile it in until
> I found one that worked.  Just load and unload modules, it makes life
> easy.  You could try to tweak the default driver to recgonize your card
> and it may just work.  Since you downloaded the driver you could try
> looking at the differences between the web and system drivers with diff,
> it may be 95% the same.

I suppose that there is no default driver for these NICs, as they are
not reconized during the system install.  I know that they work on
FreeBSD 5.2.1, but the application that I'm intend to use only works on
version 4.x.
About loading and unload modules, I have to do that using
/boot/loader.conf or there is a command line to do it?

It's not dangerous to tweak the code? Can I damage the NIC?

Thanks,

Augusto