2 CPUs

lukas at razik.de lukas at razik.de
Mon Sep 15 02:33:30 PDT 2003

Hi Kostas!

> If I have a box with 2 CPUs (Intel P4) does freeBSD recognize them ?
Yes, it does if you set these options in your kernel config:
--- BEGIN ---
# To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
options SMP # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
options APIC_IO # Symmetric (APIC) I/O
--- END ---

> If yes how can I see this,
Please type "dmesg" in your console and look for a message like this
one:
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 2 CPUs

> how can I see the utilization of each CPU
Execute the command "top" in your console.

> and how can I assign a process to both CPUs or only to one, etc. I have seen W2K
> doing this through the Task Manager by setting the Affinity of the process.
> All these questions also apply to the new Intel's technology HYPER
> THREADING. With this, you can have a single CPU but your OS sees that it has
> two and again you can set the Affinity, etc.
I don't know how you can assign a process to one CPU...
Normally the processes are assigned by the OS to both CPUs. (If it has
only one thread it swaps between them.)

BTW: Which program did you use to set the CPU Affinity on W2k?
Because I always use TaskInfo on WinXP and I would like to know if
there are also other programs...
Thnx!

cya,
Lukas