IBM 120 G IDE -- problems

Simon Barner barner at in.tum.de
Mon Sep 8 04:57:55 PDT 2003

[ top posting corrected ]

> > I have that problem with an ASUS P4S533 motherboard. I add
> > these sysctl
> > values to /boot/loader.conf:
> >
> > hw.ata.ata_dma="0"
> > hw.ata.atapi_dma="0"

> OH MAN...... You don't know how many hours you just saved me!!! It boots
> up beautifully with 3 drives.
>
> Thank you!!!!
>
> For future reference, do you know why this happens?

Because some chip set / drive combinations don't work in DMA mode (don't
know why).

You can list the modes your drives are currently using with the
following command (as root):

atacontrol mode 0 (1st channel)
atacontrol mode 1 (2nd   -"-  )

For performance reasons you can try whether disabling DMA mode for your
ATAPI devices is enough, i.e. your /boot/loader.conf should look like
this:

hw.ata.atapi_dma="0"

Regards,
 Simon