Gateway and FreeBSD

Mike Dean klaatu at evertek.net
Wed May 7 06:35:48 PDT 2003

* Sourabh Ladha <ladha at mail.eecis.udel.edu> [2003-06-05 18:26]:
> Thanks for the email Mike. I tried doing what you had suggested but didn't
> have any luck. I get stuck at the same place and the machine freezes.

I can't say that I've experienced that problem.  The symptoms I had were
a page fault, kernel panic, and abrupt shutdown.  So it could be a
different problem.

> SOS: What else could I do?

I don't really have any further ideas, except one.  Is this a new
Centrino-based machine?  I don't know much about Centrino, but it's
possible there are issues with FreeBSD support for that architecture.
Either that, or, in cheapening up the 400x (IIRC, it's a lower-end
machine than the 450), they put in some chips that FreeBSD doesn't like.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you probably can't very easily get a copy
of your kernel messages to send.  Unless one of the other list readers
tell you how to capture that with a non-functional system.

-Mike