problem on 1TB filesystem RAID 5 3ware

Len Conrad LConrad at Go2France.com
Sat Mar 29 11:48:28 PST 2003

>There have been broken 3ware firmwares in the past that specifically
>effected RAID5. A quick test of the same hardware under LINUX or win2k
>would confirm if this is another firmware issue or driver specific. Another
>common issue across all platforms (i.e. firmware issue) was changing the
>disk stripe to anything other than the default 64k on RAID0 or 10.  This
>too would break things on all operating systems.

We'd like to use the 3ware 7000-2 in non-RAID JBOD, to get the supposed
speed benefit of the 3ware "switch fabric", lower CPU overhead, etc. in
high-volume SMTP relays.

Will whatever 3ware+FreeBSD somewhat "discutable" 3ware problems show up in
JBOD mode or are the problems limited to RAID?

Does anybody have experience or URL that says the 3ware 7000-2 @ $100 is
sufficiently "better" to justify it over an Promise "Ultra133 TX2" @ $40?

Len