floppy controller

Tecumtah tecumtah at lycos.co.uk
Wed Mar 26 13:13:31 PST 2003

Hi all,

This is my first post on this list. I hope this is the right place to submit my problem.

I have compiled my kernel with

device	fdc
hints   WIGWAW.hints

in my config file

but i don't have a /dev/fd0 device, neither have I /dev/fd0x (x=a...h). I am using ("uname -a") FreeBSD wigwaw 5.0-RELEASE-p6 FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE-p6 #7: Wed Mar 26 00:02:29 CET 2003     root at wigwaw:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/WIGWAW  i386

Here is the output of "dmesg | grep fd"

fdc0: cmd 3 failed at out byte 1 of 3
fdc0: cmd 3 failed at out byte 1 of 3
fdc0: cannot reserve I/O port range (6 ports)

Is it a hardware problem? Or is there something wrong with my WIGWAW.hints file. Here is a part of it (grep fdc WIGWAW.hints):

hint.fdc.0.at="isa"
hint.fdc.0.port="0x3F0"
hint.fdc.0.irq="6"
hint.fdc.0.drq="2"
hint.fd.0.at="fdc0"
hint.fd.0.drive="0"
hint.fd.1.at="fdc0"
hint.fd.1.drive="1"

It is basically the same as the default from GENERIC.hints. So ... What does this line "isa" mean? Is the irq correct?

Thanks for any hint on making my floppy driver work.

Tecumtah