ichsmb driver not loading on Intel SE7501CW2 motherboard

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Dec 22 08:35:38 PST 2003

On 22-Dec-2003 Michael A. Hovan III wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A colleague and I are currently having difficulty building a FreeBSD
> 4.9 kernel that loads the ichsmb driver on an Intel SE7501CW2
> motherboard.  There appears to be some sort of problem mapping an
> interrupt to the device, as illustrated by the following boot message:
>
> ichsmb0: <Intel 82801CA (ICH3) SMBus controller> port 0x1100-0x111f irq
> 0
>    at device 31.3 on pci0
> pci_cfgintr_virgin: using routable interrupt 3
> pci_cfgintr: ROUTE_INTERRUPT failed.
> smbus0: <System Management Bus> on ichsmb0
> smb0: <SMBus general purpose I/O> on smbus0

Well, the problem is that to get PCI interrupt routing to properly
work on 4.x (which is what you need), you will need to do a lot of
work.  Esp. if you are trying to do this for an SMP kernel.  Basically,
only 5.x is going to properly do PCI interrupt routing.