SATA RAID controllers

Beric Farmer bfarmer at xe.com
Tue Dec 16 09:41:58 PST 2003

Hi Dan.

I've had experience with the HighPoint RocketRAID 1520 (SATA) and the
Promise TX2 (ATA133).

First, in terms of reliability and function, I've not had any
problems with either to date.  However, I find the transfer rates of
both of them to be less than I would expect.

I'm not sure what version of FreeBSD you're planning to use, but my
understanding that SATA support isn't great in 4.x.

Under 4.x the ata driver downgrades the SATA drives on the HighPoint
to UDMA33 (33 MB/s) and I see read throughput of approximately 15
MB/s and write throughput of about 25 MB/s (whether I use FreeBSD's
ata driver or the one that HighPoint provides).

Under 5.1, the drives are run at UDMA133 (133 MB/s).  (I think I read
somewhere that the HighPoint controller is essentially an ATA133
controller with a bridge that translates the SATA150 to ATA133, so it
doesn't actually run at 150 MB/s.)  However, my throughput is
actually worse than under 4.x.  I see 15MB/s both reading and
writing.  This is way below what it should be.

I've been in contact with the person who maintains FreeBSD's ata
driver, and it appears that although his driver follows the specs
that are available to him, the controller/drives don't behave as
advertised.  If you use atacontrol to drop the drives to UDMA100, the
throughput improves significantly.  In my case, it jumped to 53 MB/s
reading and 43 MB/s writing.  This is still somewhat slower than what
I see with a single ATA133 drive on a plain ATA controller, but it's
in the same ballpark.

I realize the Promise TX2 isn't a SATA controller (its an ATA133
controller), but my experiences may still be helpful.  With this
controller, under 4.9-RELEASE, I see 40 MB/s reading and 20 MB/s
writing, which is far lower than a single ATA133 drive.  I'm not sure
why it is low, but it appears that there is a bottleneck of a total
of 40MB/s between the controller and its drives.  This would explain
why the write throughput is exactly half the read throughput (each
piece of data can be read from a single drive, but must be written
simultaneously to both drives).

I'd be interested to hear from other people regarding ATA RAID 1
implementations in general.  I've read that RAID 1 gives the ability
to achieve double the read transfer rates of a single drive because
the reads can be distributed across the mirrored pair.  However, the
data transfer rates on the controllers I've mentioned above suggest
they don't take advantage of this (and tests with iostat during a
large transfer suggest that all the data is indeed being read from a
single drive).

Has anyone had experience with an ATA (or SATA) RAID 1 controller
that seems to take advantage of this possibility of RAID 1?  Perhaps
the manufacturers assume that anyone concerned with throughput will
be using a different RAID level, so don't bother to go to the
expense...

Hope this info is helpful.

Regards,

Beric