Broadcom 4401

Mark Terribile materribile at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 2 00:37:26 PST 2003

Greetings, all.

Does anyone have a driver for the Broadcom 4401 NIC on FreeBSD 4.9?

My employer has just bought a bunch of Dell boxes with these, and more may
be on the way.  But FreeBSD 4.9 doesn't recognize the NIC, and it looks
like Red Hat Linux doesn't see it, either.  (We will be running each in
proportion to the amount of trouble they don't cause us.)

I discovered a PR with some patches to a non-existent driver (`bfe'),
and a driver (`bcm') contributed by Duncan Barclay.  But it appears only
to compile under 5.x .  When I tried it under 4.9, I got a number of
messages that I can't transport off the machine because I have neither
network nor writable media.  They included

        field mtx has incomplete type
        implicit definition of mtx_init
        MTX_NETWORK_LOCK undeclared
        MTX_DEF undeclared
        MTX_RECURSE undeclared
        busdma_lock_mutex undeclared
        Giant undeclared
        too many arguments to function `bus_dma_create'

Does anyone have a way to use this NIC under FreeBSD 4.x?

   Mark Terribile

[This is not my normal stomping ground, so please cc me at
materribile at yahoo.com.  Thanks.]