acpi needed to control fans on HP Proliant

Lanny Baron lnb at FreeBSDsystems.COM
Fri Aug 22 21:51:19 PDT 2003

Hi,
I think if you check out http://www.FreeBSDsystems.COM/ipmi.html it will
give you an idea of how to monitor what your Server hardware is doing.

In terms of fan speeds, it is controlled by the BMC.

On our Servers, until we do a complete upgrade of the BIOS and BMC the
fans are good for a jet on takeoff. Once we have done the upgrade, the
Server fans slow down considerably.

Having said that, perhaps ask your HP rep to get you (if it even
available..we don't sell hp servers) the BMC/FRUSDR/BIOS upgrade files.

Hope that helps you out.

Regards,
Lanny

On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 03:44, Paul Saab wrote:
> Your HP rep is lying to you.  You have to have their health driver
> (not ACPI) which is not available for FreeBSD.
>
> akanwar at digitarchy.com (akanwar at digitarchy.com) wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I run FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE on about 70 i386 boxes. Now we are evaluating a
> > HP Proliant DL360 G3 servers for BSD compatability.
> >
> > All seems good except except the fact that the fans in the server run full
> > steam all the time (and they are LOUD). My HP rep tells me that if I
> > install Windows on this box, it will automatically control fan speed via
> > acpi.
> >
> > How do I do the same in FreeBSD 4.8 ?
> >
> > I do not see any "acpi0" messages in the dmesg.
> >
> > Thanks for your time,
> >
> > -ansh

Lanny Baron
Proud to be 100% FreeBSD