Are there any RFCs for address selection for IPv4

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sun Apr 25 17:56:11 UTC 2021

--------
Zhenlei Huang writes:

> Reading RFC 3927 2.7, it states link-local addresses are not routable. The router shall
> discard those packets from or to link-local addresses. Then it make no sense for a host
> to select link-local address as source address when it initialize a connection, except for
> an edge case that the destination is also link-local address.

As I understand it, it only makes sense let the kernel select a LL address under two
conditions:

A) The destination is also LL *or* multicast

B) There is only one "UP" interfaces with an LLA.

Implementing the second criteria runs into us putting a (IPv6)LL
on the loopback interface.

Does anybody know why we put a (ipv6)LL on loopback interfaces ?