Debugging signal 11

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun Apr 18 19:38:05 UTC 2021

On Sun, Apr 18, 2021, 1:18 PM Ian Lepore <ian at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 2021-04-18 at 15:53 -0300, Lucas Nali de Magalhães wrote:
> > This also isn't the usual. Debugging a running process is possible but
> > the process you used is the wrong one. Debugging init, OTOH, is a
> > completely different story: init is the first process and is the most
> > important process of any unix. The actual command varies from
> > debugger to debugger but in gdb, "attach pid"  may do the trick for
> > you. You will need to be extra cautious because of you are aiming init.
> > Ideally, init is the process supposed to catch the signals and keep
> > the system running. So a break into it may cause your system to crash.
>
> Given that it is init that is segfaulting, how to you propose that the
> OP lauch gdb in order to do an attach to init?  In other words: there
> is a reason the OP is trying to use the kernel debugger to examine
> what's going on here.

Yea. I'm seeing this too on a new, lab machine. Not sure what is going on.
Since it's a new machine, I'm working through other, higher priority tasks
first. For me, it's only when I try a reboot -C that I see it... normal
reboot doesn't trigger it. And I don't see it on other models...

Warner

-- Ian