How this wired boot timing bug comes, init rc scripts or zfs?

tech-lists tech-lists at zyxst.net
Sun Oct 11 03:33:01 UTC 2020

On Sun, Oct 04, 2020 at 10:50:20AM +0800, Meowthink wrote:
>Hello hackers,
>Recently I installworld and rebooted a server, seems working, but my
>kerberized nfsd, precisely gssd, is not functional.
>At first I thought it may be a bug from stable, so I did some trivial
>tests, replacing the kernel with releng one, then the whole world, but
>found this is nothing related to the kernel, and triggers randomly
>when rebooting some recent stable/11 world (releng/11.4 seems fine).
>To dig it deeper, here is what the console showed when failing:

Hi,

I had a possibly similar problem (boot wanting to mount ZFS before usb
had finished recognising the hardware), and asked around.
The advice I got led to me putting this in /boot/loader.conf:

vfs.root_mount_always_wait=1 # give usb time to settle before zfs
kern.cam.boot_delay="30000"  # 30s delay for usb3 spinning rust

ok a long boot time, but now everything's there as expected. My context
is a rasberry pi4b+(8GB) booting from microsd (ufs) with a 1Tb external
hard drive attached (which is zfs mounted) running -current r366312 with
a no-debug kernel.

--
J.