difference between real serial console and virtual console

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at puchar.net
Tue Oct 6 11:03:51 UTC 2020

from userland program point of view? What's the difference.

I'm asking because i have problem as below when using real serial console
(PCengines apu).

I have TERM set to xterm on both serial console and on virtual console
when i log over ssh or rsh.

i have same screen size.

and ALMOST all programs behave the same way, including full screen
programs like mc or vi or even alpine. including colors,sizes etc.

the only exception is joe editor. that doesn't work at all.
Actually - it display few upper-left characters of it's status bar and
nothing else. All i can is to blindly type CTRL-C to exit.

switching TERM to vt100 or vt220 doesn't change things at all.

any idea why?