Should/does loader.efi respect the "bootme" GPT attribute ?

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Dec 17 19:02:24 UTC 2020

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 11:52 AM Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk>
wrote:

> --------
> Warner Losh writes:
>
> > >  > UEFI has its own bootnext protocol, that works in conjunction with
> the EFI
> > >  > environment variables to have a more robust, less 'guess what I
> mean'
> > >  > approach. So all in all, it's hard, non-standard and doesn't play
> well with
> > >  > UEFI."
> > >
> > >   Could it be used here?
> > >

> > Yes. It can.
>
> Do you know of any good sources of documentation ?

Chapter  3 of the UEFI spec has the canonical reference for the Boot
Manager specification. If your mobo understands setting persistent UEFI
variables, that's the most robust way to do things. There's not a FreeBSD
document, though efibootmgr comes closest and would be what you'd use to
manage...

Warner