Git/Mtn for FreeBSD, PGP WoT Sigs, Merkel Hash Tree Based

Igor Mozolevsky igor at hybrid-lab.co.uk
Fri Oct 4 17:22:53 UTC 2019

On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 at 22:01, grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:

> For consideration...
>
> SVN really may not offer much in the way of native
> internal self authenticating repo to cryptographic levels
> of security against bitrot, transit corruption and repo ops,
> external physical editing, have much signing options, etc.
> Similar to blockchain and ZFS hash merkle-ization,
> signing the repo init and later points tags commits,
> along with full verification toolset, is useful function.

<snip>

Isn't UNIX(TM) philosophy that a program should do one thing and do it
well? Just because people can't be bothered to learn to use multiple
tools to do *multiple* tasks on the same dataset, is not a reason, let
alone "the reason," to increase any program complexity to orders of
N^M^K^L so that one "foo checkout" does all the things one wants!

Incidentally, how does that saying go, if you think "crypto" is the
solution to your problem, then ... (I'm slightly paraphrasing, of
course). When crypto invalidates a repo, how would it be different
from seeing non ASCII characters in plain ASCII files, or sudden
refusal to compile---one way or another you'd still need to restore
from BACKUP, hence crypto IS NOT a substitute for good data keeping
practices.

Also, what empirical data do you have for repo bitrot/transit
corruption that is NOT caught by underlying media?

--
Igor M.