What is the portable 128-bit floating point type?

Dimitry Andric dim at FreeBSD.org
Sun May 26 10:02:37 UTC 2019

On 26 May 2019, at 02:20, Yuri <yuri at rawbw.com> wrote:

> On 2019-05-25 14:30, Dimitry Andric wrote:
>> But from clang's OSTargets.h file, it looks like 128 bit float support
>> is never set to enabled for FreeBSD.
>

> If clang supports __float128, and clang is FreeBSD's main compiler, shouldn't it be enabled on FreeBSD then?

It probably should, but those kinds of things don't just magically appear
out of thin air: Somebody(TM) has to do the actual work to implement the
support, test it, maintain it, and so on.  Apparently there has not yet
been any great need for this floating point precision.

Are you volunteering? :)

-Dimitry

P.S.: I believe one of the first requirements is a <quadmath.h> header.