Adding a new efi-update-loader script: need help understanding Makefile.inc1 for "make installworld"

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Mar 26 02:08:14 UTC 2019

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019, 6:40 PM Rebecca Cran <rebecca at bluestop.org> wrote:

> On 3/25/19 2:41 PM, Warner Losh wrote:
>

> > Let's step back and do a complete design doc. I've started writing one up
> > and will post it when I'm done.
>

> It's probably worth at least taking a look at what Linux has done to
> support UEFI, Secure Boot, and its Default Boot Behavior
> (https://blog.uncooperative.org/blog/2014/02/06/the-efi-system-partition/)
>
> to see if there's anything we can learn, or leverage. Also, the shim
> (https://github.com/rhboot/shim) is BSD licensed, so we could use it if
> we wanted.

We started moving away from boot1.efi because it was duplicating all the
features of loader.efi, but without the interactive features.  Different
filesystems, crypto, boot order details, etc. It was a pita to maintain two
similar things with different enough details :(

this starts to move back to that, and I'm not sure that is a good idea.  It
seemed like the right choice, but maybe we could consider taking another
look at that... when it first arrived, boot1.efi could easily fit the
install once and forget forever. As the features grew, that assumption
changed.

This is why I'm putting together a design doc. There is no easy button
here. I thought it was no brainer yes to drop it and just use loader.efi,
but as things get more complicated I've become less sure...

Warner