Adding a new efi-update-loader script: need help understanding Makefile.inc1 for "make installworld"

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun Mar 24 23:57:24 UTC 2019

On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 5:48 PM Rebecca Cran via freebsd-hackers <
freebsd-hackers at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 3/24/19 3:01 AM, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
>

> > Can we take use of the opportunity and finally stop installing loader
> > at installworld target at all, please ?
> >
> > Add e.g. installloader target which would do whatever needed to loader.
>

> Others have suggested adding a new step as well. I'm not sure we need it
> as a make target, but perhaps a generic script such as "update-loader"
> that will call "efi-update-loader" if on a UEFI system, or "boot0cfg"
> etc. on an MBR system (i.e. it knows how to install boot/loader code for
> all systems we support)? Also, about the naming: would you prefer
> 'install' or 'update' in the script name?
>

> When you say "stop installing loader", do you mean stop installing
> /boot/loader* entirely, or leave installworld installing those, but have
> updating the ESP as the extra step?

He's asking for stopping doing a make install in src/stand. I'm thinking
that's a good thing. We should update the ESP's \efi\freebsd\loader.efi,
but leave the\efi\boot\bootXXXX.efi alone as part of this new installloader
phase. Again, only if the ESP is mounted, and we have a default spot for
it. For this script, I don't think hunting for the ESP is the right way to
go... which means we need to define a standard place for the ESP to be
mounted, which we should do before we turn on any of these features.

We have the start of a generic script to update things in
src/tools/boot/install-boot.sh which was supposed to install boot blocks on
everything known to run FreeBSD.

Warner