powerpc64 head -r344018 stuck sleeping problems: th->th_scale * tc_delta(th) overflows unsigned 64 bits sometimes [patched failed]

Rodney W. Grimes freebsd-rwg at pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net
Fri Mar 1 21:35:10 UTC 2019

( ... trimmed ... )

> > The most useful timecounters are TSC's, and these give another overflow
> > in tc_delta() after 1 second when their frequency is 4 GHz (except the
> > bogus TSC-low timecounter reduces the frequency to below 2 binary GHz,
> > so the usual case is overflow after 2 seconds).
>
> The wording suggests a amd64/i386 context but my report was for
> powerpc64, specifically for old PowerMac G5's. (I currently have\access
> to only one ut I've seen the beuavior on others in the last.)
> FreeBSD reports:

I have access to 2, one is mine and the others is dexter@'s,
both of them are now located at his place, but are available
for testing.

--
Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes at freebsd.org