FreeBSD 12 log formats

Matt Churchyard matt.churchyard at userve.net
Fri Jan 4 09:12:39 UTC 2019

On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 at 3:12 am, Matt Churchyard <matt.churchyard at userve.net<mailto:matt.churchyard at userve.net>> wrote:
Hello,

I asked this question on the freebsd-questions mailing list but didn't get any response.
I (and other users) have noticed that log messages have started appearing in a different format in FreeBSD 12 (although in my case only on one system, and some logs are still the original format...).

>Hi Matt,

>Given that you are only experiencing this on 1 of your FreeBSD 12 systems, and it was upgraded from a FreeBSD 11 system - could this be a result of an incomplete upgrade?

>How did you go about upgrading (src or binary)?  Did you finish all of the steps, including the SECOND issuance of the following command?
># freebsd-update install

>Refer to the upgrade instructions below which explain the need to run that command a SECOND time:
>https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/updating-upgrading-freebsdupdate.html

Hmm, Looks like it might be a false alarm.
The full upgrade process was followed, however due to the way the syslog changes have been made it looks like an additional reboot is required after the second part of the upgrade. Based on your last email, it seems the old daemon is running, and any newly started processes end up writing in the new format. This would explain why my maillog was still the old format as that process would not of been restarted. I usually restart systems after an upgrade even though it’s not mentioned to make sure everything starts ok although obviously didn’t this time…

Thanks
Matt

From: Benjamin Woods
woodsb02 at gmail.com<mailto:woodsb02 at gmail.com>