What is evdev and autoloading?

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Mon Feb 18 22:54:12 UTC 2019

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 08:50:27AM -0800, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> I think one serious problem here is the summary dismissal of things
> simply on the "5 year old" basis.

IIUC the graphics changes are being forced upon FreeBSD by external
projects (mainly Linux-based) that are making huge architectural changes
that rely more and more on features from newer hardware.

If our upstreams aren't willing to do the work to keep from violating
POLA on older hardware, IMHO it's an awful lot to ask of our already
thinly stretched graphics volunteers to provide it in their stead.

w/rt graphics, we are at far more danger of being left further and
further behind on modern hardware than we are at risk of losing users
on older hardware here.

Again all IMHO.

disclaimer: I don't use any fancy graphics stuff, so (as the old folks
say around here) "I have no dog in this hunt".

mcl