Non-interactive multivolume restore

George Mitchell george+freebsd at m5p.com
Mon Feb 4 03:20:13 UTC 2019

Historically, the restore program assumed that the volumes of a
multivolume dump were on separate physical reels of tape, and that a
human would have to load each tape to complete the restore.  But now
I have multivolume dumps that are simply separate online files from
which I would like to restore without having to type each name in
one at a time.  However, you can give only one -f option on the
command line, and additional file names are assumed to specify the
files you want to restore, as opposed to additional dump volumes.

I thought perhaps 'cat dumpvols... | restore -x -f -', but that
gets confused at the beginning of the second volume.

What's the right way to do this?                          -- George