How to use locale(1) to set default paper size?

Gary Jennejohn gljennjohn at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 14:04:48 UTC 2019

On Thu, 19 Dec 2019 15:07:22 +0400
Gleb Popov <arrowd at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hello hackers@
>
> When I launch LibreOffice Writer, the default page size is set to "Letter".
> From what I read on Internets, the canonical way to set default paper size
> is via locale(1). Many sites propose setting LC_PAPER env var to
> ru_RU.UTF-8 to get "A4" as default size.
>
> On FreeBSD, however, running `locale -ck` doesn't show a category for paper
> size and setting LC_PAPER variable doesn't seem to work for LibreOffice.
>
> Any ideas what can be done about that?

Click on Format->Page and a window will pop up.  Open the Page tab
and you can set the size to A4.

LibreOffice should save that it when you click on OK.

My size was set automatically to A4 because I already had a config
file from 2008 laying around in my home directory with that setting.

--
Gary Jennejohn