How to compile 'struct module' usage?

Kenneth M. Glassey kennethg at trueworldfoods.com
Mon Dec 16 17:27:01 UTC 2019

Hello, I am doing some fiddling on a driver port and I am encountering
 a compilation error "incomplete definition of type struct module"
concerning lines in the port source that access members of struct module,
such as module->name. Looking into the issue, it seems that struct module
is not defined in the headers, at least not in sys/module.h, but I did see
some definitions in *.c files elsewhere.

To check whether this was a problem specifically due to this driver, I
made a simple module following one of the tutorials online and it compiled
fine. I then added a line that accessed module->name and I got the
compilation error.

So how do we build a module to allow the use of the members of struct
module? Is the struct module definition supposed to be constructed at
compile time, and if so, how? Or is it verboten to access members of that
struct?

Thanks!

Kenneth