FCP 20190401-ci_policy: CI policy

Rodney W. Grimes freebsd-rwg at gndrsh.dnsmgr.net
Fri Aug 30 16:19:55 UTC 2019

> On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 06:35:41PM -0700, Cy Schubert wrote:
> >
> > What about weekends? I notice commits tend to slow down during weekends. I
> > suspect people who work on FreeBSD at $COMPANY for a living treat it as a
> > job, which it is. However this should be considered.
> >

> A committer, who works for a $COMPANY and has no intention of
> looking at the mailing lists or CI reports until Monday, should
> not commit on Firday.  What ever happen to common sense?

Perhaps this speaks to another issue then, I know the community
is a whole against rules, procedures, requirements, etc all, but
I'll again stick my head across the block and say:

Should it be added to the committers guide that a committer is
expected to be "responsive" to commit especially, and project
in general emails for 48 hours following any commit?  Would
that not solve some of this?

I do know from first hand interactions that several project members
foo at freebsd.org email is basically /dev/nulled into a mail box that
gets cleaned out on some random schedule.

That technically goes against the requirement that if your a
committer your suppose to be reading commit mail but I can
agree that the volume of commit mail has become an overwhelming
problem.  One I do wish we had a better answer to than just
ignore it.

Regards,
--
Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes at freebsd.org