embed endian info in locale data files magic (PR231965)

Yuri Pankov yuripv at yuripv.net
Thu Oct 18 20:52:23 UTC 2018

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> --------
> In message <CANCZdfpuUhJTxeUrEn1jrphSVaPqWw86Xm-e-rdX_mwC_kJO9w at mail.gmail.com>
> , Warner Losh writes:
>
>>> 3. Always store the data in LE (or BE, doesn't matter), and
>>> appropriately convert while reading.  This will likely require least
>>> change.
>>
>> I like this.
>
> The locale stuff can have a surprisingly large performance impact, so
> it might be a good idea to run some benchmarks first.

Thanks for the answers, and especially for mentioning the magic word
which is "performance" that I seem to be forgetting about.  I have
updated the change to skip any runtime conversions and rather make
localedef output data in target system's byte order.

If anyone wants to take a look, it's still at:

https://reviews.freebsd.org/D17603