Why SPDX-License-Identifier: BSD-2-Clause-FreeBSD?

Allan Jude allanjude at freebsd.org
Mon Oct 15 05:45:09 UTC 2018

On 2018-10-15 01:40, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I noticed that a lot of files have this SPDX-License-Identifier:
>
> BSD-2-Clause-FreeBSD
>
> I didn't find this identifier at https://opensource.org/licenses, e.g.
>
> https://opensource.org/licenses/BSD-2-Clause-FreeBSD
>
> doesn't exist. I didn't find a difference to
>
> https://opensource.org/licenses/BSD-2-Clause
>
> What is the reason for this specialized identifier?

When opensource.org created their 'official' BSD license, they deviated
from the wording used in the real BSD license.

The FreeBSD license specifically says "PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR AND
CONTRIBUTORS" and the OSI version says "PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT
HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS"

There can be a significant difference between those two terms, making it
an entirely different license.

--
Allan Jude