ntpd strange problem

Ian Lepore ian at freebsd.org
Sat Oct 6 19:46:01 UTC 2018

On Sat, 2018-10-06 at 20:43 +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> > > what should i look at to find a source of problem
> > Is this a virtual machine or bare metal?   VMs tend to have a lot
> > more
> bare metal.
>

> > driftfile /var/db/ntpd.drift
> >
> > then ntpd will record how fast or slow the clock tends to run so it
> > can
> > immediately account for that across restarts, rather than having to
> > work it
> > out de-novo everytime ntpd gets restarted.
> >
> # cat /var/db/ntpd.drift
> 35.586
>
> what else can i do?

The original output you posted showed the time as unsynchronized when
ntpd started up. That seems normal to me, it can't be synchronized
until ntpd has been running for a while. In a followup message you
seemed to say that it doesn't stay synchronized, but you haven't
provided much info about that.

What's in the logs when it become unsynchronized or when you notice the
time is several seconds off?

What does the output of ntptime show when the time is drifted off?

How about the output of "ntpq -p" and "ntpq -c rv"?

What's in your ntp.conf?

If you set sysctl kern.timecounter.stepwarnings=1, do you see any
warnings about the clock stepping as time drifts out of sync?

-- Ian