new laptop, no sound in spite of driver attaching

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at puchar.net
Tue May 1 11:11:16 UTC 2018

> To get sound working on my MacbookAir I have the following in
> "/boot/loader.conf"
>
> # Fix audio output not getting any voltage, see: man snd_hda
> hint.hdaa.1.config="ovref"
> hint.hdaa.1.gpio_config="0=set"

lots of tries but i think it's not a problem because of

pcm0: chn_write(): pcm0:virtual:dsp0.vp0: play interrupt timeout, channel dead

so it doesn't seem like sound not being directed properly but dma/irq
problem.

> # Assign Headphones (nid16) to same "as" group as Speakers with seq=15 to
> enable switching between them
> hint.hdaa.1.nid16.config="as=1 seq=15"
>
> Had to use the time old method of Trial and Error using various combinations
> of values for the first two lines until it finally worked!
>
> Probably won't be the same values for your laptop, but might give you a path
> of enquiry...
>
> PS: I'm deeply grateful for the work done on bringing the i915 driver upto
> scratch for Intel Broadwell,

i installed /usr/ports/graphics/drm-stable-kmod to get working intel
graphics. but works fine now.