[capsicum] unlinkfd

Robert N. M. Watson robert.watson at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sat Mar 3 10:41:14 UTC 2018

FWIW, this is part of why we introduced anonymous POSIX shared memory objects with Capsicum in FreeBSD -- we allow shm_open(2) to be passed a SHM_ANON special name, which causes the creation of a swap-backed, mappable file-like object that can have I/O, memory mapping, etc, performed on it .. but never has any persistent state across reboots even in the event of a crash.

With Capsicum you can then refine a file descriptor to the otherwise writable object to be read-only for the purposes of delegation. There is not, however, a mechanism to "freeze" the state of the object causing other outstanding writable descriptors to become read-only -- certainly something could be added, but some care regarding VM semantics would be required -- in particular, so that faults could not be experienced as a result of an memory store performed before the "freeze" but issued to VFS only later.

I certainly have no objection to an unlinkat(2) system call -- it's unfortunate that a full suite of the at(2) APIs wasn't introduced in the first place. It would be worth checking that no one else (e.g., Solaris, Mac OS X, Linux) hasn't already added an unlinkat(2) that we can match API semantics for. I think I take the view that for truly anonymous objects, shm_open(2) without a name (or the Linux equiv) is the right thing -- and hence unlinkat(2) is for more conventional use cases where the final pathname element is known.

On directories: There, I find myself falling back on a Casper-like service, since GC'ing a single anonymous memory object is straightforward, but GC'ing a directory hierarchy is a more messy business.

Robert