OpenRC 0.35 for FreeBSD

Edward Tomasz Napierała trasz at FreeBSD.org
Sat Mar 3 11:28:47 UTC 2018

On 0302T0828, Alan Somers wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 1:37 AM, Lars Engels <lme at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Mar 01, 2018 at 08:02:23PM -0500, Joe Maloney wrote:
> > > Hello hackers,
> > > I have been working on a single diff version of OpenRC for FreeBSD:
> > >
> > > https://github.com/pkgdemon/freebsd/commit/
> > b6885cd533c848a1b4f3582f48e40c883669b35c
> >
> > Thanks for your work!
> >

> > > Why OpenRC?  The licensing is right, and it's a way of adding modern
> > > features to service management without reinventing the wheel.  That's
> > > my sales pitch.
> >
> > Hm, that does not convince me. FreeBSD's rc is also BSD licensed and did
> > not reinvent any wheel.
> > Could you maybe give some comparison between OpenRC and our rc? What
> > does OpenRC better?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Lars
> >

> Parallel startup, mainly.

Some time ago I played with an idea of making it possible within our
existing rcNG infrastructure.  I've modified rcorder(8) to add a "-p"
flag, which modifies its output from the current "one script per line"
to "list of scripts that can be run in parallel per line", using the
existing rc metadata ("PROVIDES" et al), and modified /etc/rc to make
use of that.

I had to give it up due to other obligations, but should anyone want
to pick it up, the code is here:

https://reviews.freebsd.org/D3715

There's also an unrelated review for the "supervise" functionality
for rc scripts, which includes changes for sshd, cron, and syslogd:

https://reviews.freebsd.org/D7474